Thursday, May 14, 2009

fashion.


I was a freshman in High School and for some reason, I was at Krogers in Spring, Texas with my Dad. I walked by the magazine rack in the grocery store and discovered for the first time Elle magazine. I BEGGED my Dad to buy it for me - geez, I remember it was something like $4.00 for the magazine which in '86 was expensive for a magazine, especially for a 14 year old. ....and somehow I convinced Dad it was a good idea. :)



Until this day, I only had explored my Mother's magazines and of course Seventeen and Young Miss magazine, but Elle was different. Elle was creative, about real fashion, had unique layouts, and the paper - was thicker and something you didn't want to let out of your sight.




It was that day I was hooked to fashion magazines and the love of the experience of opening it up and just absorbing each page like a piece of art.



Elle helped carve my fashion taste to this day. I still melt when I put on the perfect jeans, leather worn-in shoes, a crisp white shirt and some amazing accessory. I understand how an outfit can change my total outlook for the day ahead.

I've touched the fashion industry in my career moving to NYC and working with Marie Claire, Town & Country, and Harpers Bazaar, thinking that is what I wanted. But it wasn't. It's not about that to me. It's about the experience behind the publication. Each time I open a magazine, I feel something. The touch of it in my hands, the new ideas and composition. That is what I
love about fashion.



Do I still read Elle? Occasionally. I was a subscriber till college, and then switched to other mags. These days in my late 30s, I read Vogue and Lucky on a monthly basis. Always excited to find a new issue in my mailbox.


Check out this site where you can view old mag covers: http://www.whosdatedwho.com/what/magazine_view.asp?ID=235&year=1986 I promise you I still have 2 or 3 of these '86 issues some where in my garage.....

No comments: