Sunday, February 1, 2009

reaching.

I remember my Mom watching West Side Story with my sister and I. My dad had brought home our first VHS player, Beta of course. My Mom was fascinated with the whole experience. She brought home movies that had special meaning to her while growing up and wanted to share them with us.... It worked.

West Side Story was the first movie I can remember - where the songs - "Maria" and "Somewhere" touched me in a way that made me feel everything. I just knew, I understood how Tony, how Maria felt about each other. It was so sad and beautiful at the same time.

There are songs, moments in a movie, scenes, commercials, lyrics - that just touch me. I hear it, I see it, and I just start to feel it. I love it when it just reaches out to me and grabs me in - I could be heading in one direction....say downstairs with a load of laundry - and song can just reach out and remind me of something.

Today's reach brought me to tears with one chorus. I am transported to another time, another place, another emotion.

"Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You'll make it now"

Glen Hansard - Lyrics from Falling Slowly
Music from Once

No comments: