Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tis' the season.....

...to bake. Well, I got that baking bug again this holiday season, but this year along with everyone else, I have little time to do the holiday things I enjoy.

So I experimented. I took a store bought mix - Trader Joe's Deep Dark Gingerbread Baking Mix, substituted the vegetable oil with equal parts nonfat apple sauce, and baked in two tiny loaf pans. About 40 mins later (took an extra 10 mins than on the box) - 'wa-la!' two tasty loaves were done and making our kitchen smell like the holidays.

I then made my own whipped cream - it's so easy!

2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
vanilla to taste

Whip on high with your mixer - and you have a tasty topping.

I'm thinking of making more and handing out as neighbor gifts - along with a quick recipe for whipped topping.

It's easy and affordable.

2 comments:

Mom Beagan said...

Very clever young missy, sounds yummy. I love the smell of gingerbread when it is baking.
I might try it when I get a chance.
Love you, Mom

Red Lotus Mama said...

Sounds yummy! I am going to attempt cookies with the Princess this weekend! Wish me luck!