Tuesday, November 11, 2008

New way of thinking for us all.


As President Elect Obama said during his acceptance speech on Tuesday, November 4th,

“…let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other.”

I’m more focused to get things done – and done a new and direct way. It's time put some new, creative ideas out there. I don’t know about you, but when my leader is so encouraging, I want to do my best.


Last week, I learned (thanks to msnbc) that over 30% of young voters actually voted in this year’s election – a 21% increase from 2004 elections. That means they are out there and they are listening. And they are diverse young voters. Millennium generation who wants to make a difference and wants to feel heard.

I have known from following the 2004 election that we in the marketing space can watch elections and truly see trends to expect to see in consumer marketing. This makes sense since really elections are the biggest marketing opportunity for our country.

Now that being said, President Elect Obama marketed himself in a unique and focused way with our 2008 elections. A way we continue to try to get our clients to experience. He (along with his team) focused on the traditional and the new –

The Obama team knew they had to market in a traditional way:
*Phone calls
*Signs
*Door to door
*Direct mail

And they had to think differently to get the attention of the non traditional audience:
*Social networking – my.barackobama.com
*Facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.
*Email communication
*Online event registration, interactive events, and more
*Online marketing

It doesn’t mean that the old way of marketing goes away, but a new way of thinking and reaching needs to be there in our solutions to our clients. On election night, even though I was not with my husband, or my sister, or my Mom or Dad – I was with each of them. All night, I received pictures from my husband, texts from my sister and Dad, calls from my Mom – all while I was posting pictures of my experience to my Facebook page.

We are all connected – now, how do we get our message out there about this? Let me first start with my blogs....


No comments: